COVID-19: Test & trace/self-isolation support payments - Updated: 18 May 2021

  • Coronavirus: Test & trace/self-isolation support payments

    Grant funding is available to employed or self-employed people on low incomes who have been asked to self-isolate due to COVID-19 by the relevant authority and cannot work from home and will suffer financial consequences as a result. Individuals who qualify for assistance will receive a lump sum payment of £500 for the duration of their self-isolation.


    The payments are administered across the UK as follows:


    • Test and Trace Support Payment in England.
    • Self-isolation Support Grant in Scotland.
    • Self-isolation Support Payment in Wales.


    Employee grants


    • Grants paid to employees are taxable as earnings.
    • In October 2020, the government introduced secondary legislation to make sure that payments under the English scheme are not subject to Class 1 (employee and employer) and Class 1A (employer) National Insurance Contributions to prevent these administrative costs arising.
    • Further regulations came into force in January 2021 to exempt payments under the Scottish and Welsh schemes.


    Self-employed grants


    • Grants paid under the schemes are also classed as trading income in respect of the self-employed and liable to Class 4 and 2 National Insurance Contributions.
    • The measure is formally retrospective for the tax year 2020 to 2021. This is when the English, Welsh and Scottish schemes were implemented.




    The payment scheme opened on 1 September 2020 in England and initially only applied in specific areas subject to local lockdown starting, on a trial basis, with Blackburn with Darwen, Pendle and Oldham.


    It applied to people who:


    • Are employed or self-employed and receiving either universal credit or working tax credit.
    • Have tested positive for COVID-19, as well as their contacts.


    Eligible individuals received £130 for their 10-day period of self-isolation.


    • Other members of their household, who had to self-isolate for 14 days received £182.
    • Non-household contacts advised to self-isolate through NHS Test and Trace received £14 per day, up to £182, with the actual amount being dependent on the length of their isolation period.


    Those eligible to receive a payment will need to provide:


    • Notification from NHS Test and Trace.
    • A bank statement.
    • Proof of employment/self-employment.


    From 28 September 2020, a test and trace support payment was extended to all regions in England with payments of £500 being available to those who qualified.


    • A payment of £500 is available if either:
      • You have been told to self-isolate because of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and you cannot work from home.
      • You’re the parent or guardian of a child who has been told to self-isolate and you need to take time off to look after them.
    • You must be employed or self-employed to get the payment.
    • You need to claim within 42 days of you or your child’s first day of self-isolation.


    You or the partner you live with must get one of the following benefits:


    • Universal Credit.
    • Working Tax Credit.
    • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance.
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.
    • Income Support.
    • Housing Benefit.
    • Pension Credit.


    You must have given NHS Test and Trace the information they’ve asked for, and have a Test and Trace account ID.


    How to apply


    See Apply for a Test and Trace payment


    Small print


    Policy paper: Exemption from Class 2 and 4 NICs exemptions for Track and Trace payments


    Useful guides on this topic


    COVID-19 Grant Funding summary

    What cash grants are available to support businesses during the Cornonavirus crisis? An index with links and summaries.


    COVID-19: Government Support tracker

    This tracker covers measures announced by the government to support individuals and businesses, as we get through COVID-19.



61 Friar Gate  Derby  DE1 1DJ


Registered as auditors in the United Kingdom by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. under number 8011438

Member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants

01332 202660





Pay online

Privacy notice

Contact us


Client login

 01332 202660